Welcome!

Welcome to Educated, Common Sense Parenting! This is my parenting education/commentary blog. Start here and read About This Blog.

I believe too many parents today have let their children rule their households. Their children dictate their daily lives, demand every ounce of their attention and do not show any respect for their parents. This needs to change. The only way to do this is if parents start letting good old common sense start dictating their parenting practices and stop letting their children run the show. You're the parent. Act like one.

Follow this blog! I always like to know who my readers are! Just scroll down and click on "Follow" on the right-had sidebar.

Monday, June 21, 2010

Keeping Them Busy: 365 Activities

Being at home with the kids, it's easy to run out of activities to keep busy little ones occupied. I have found that the busier they are, the happier they are. This doesn't have to mean running all over town to ballet, gymnastics, soccer, playdates, etc. It can just mean some fun, well-planned activities at home.

I just purchased two awesome books, The Arts & Crafts Busy Book and The Preschoolers Busy Book. Each book has 365 activities to keep toddlers and preschoolers busy! I plan to try at least one everyday. I will blog about ones that the kids really like. Most of the activities are SUPER simple and cost nothing--which is a concept I love because I hate running to Michael's every day just to get glue dots or lace for some specialty craft.

We already tried one, Playdoh letters. Since I'm really working hard with Brooke on writing and forming letters, this was another great way for her to practice. Kids at this age are all about DOING, MAKING, CREATING. Just grab some plain old cheap Play-Doh. Start making letters! I always throw in saying the letter sound after she creates the letter. Then we brainstorm things that start with that letter. This is also great for learning how to spell their name and other short words. So easy. Even Buddy liked squishing the Playdoh!

Age range recommendations

The Preschoolers Busy Book: Ages 3-6

Arts & Crafts Busy Book: Ages 1-6




No comments:

Post a Comment