Welcome!

Welcome to Educated, Common Sense Parenting! This is my parenting education/commentary blog. Start here and read About This Blog.

I believe too many parents today have let their children rule their households. Their children dictate their daily lives, demand every ounce of their attention and do not show any respect for their parents. This needs to change. The only way to do this is if parents start letting good old common sense start dictating their parenting practices and stop letting their children run the show. You're the parent. Act like one.

Follow this blog! I always like to know who my readers are! Just scroll down and click on "Follow" on the right-had sidebar.

Sunday, August 16, 2009

Back to Work Summary: Week 2

My second week back to work was easier...and harder than Week 1. The most important thing I am learning to do is coming to realize that my family always comes first. It's easy to say and it should be quite obvious, but it's slightly more difficult to actually practice--especially when work seems to consume you.

Emotions: My emotions were a little more even-keeled this week. I got into a routine and I was happy to see both Brooke and Will were adjusting well to being away from home all day. Brookey was a a lot less emotional this week, too. She got into a regular nap pattern at school and has not been talking about wanting to stay home with me anymore! She also comes home well rested which makes for a much easier evening! Because she takes 2 hour naps at school, she has been going to bed later which we are not used to, but it's all working out. The key is she's getting enough sleep so she's not Miss. Drama Queen ever night!

This week I was also more stressed with work, so I found myself being short and even rude to Brookey. Stress equals a short temper for me. This summer, I hardly ever felt annoyed with Brookey like I did this week. Luckily I was very cognizant of it the moment it happened. The quick fix was just taking a step back and reminding myself that my family comes first. And no matter how stressful things get with work, when I am with my family I need to treat every moment as precious. Just changing my frame of mind seemed to help.

Schedule: Will's schedule is a little off, but I am slowly learning to go with the flow. When I read his schedule from daycare on Tuesday, it looked pretty off and he didn't take a good morning nap. I was a little irritated. But he's sleeping well at night, going to bed at the same time and most of all, is REALLY HAPPY when I pick him up! So I know he's getting enough rest and eating well. So that's what matters. Even when I had him home from the summer, days didn't always go "as planned" no matter how hard I tried. So I can't expect everyday to be exactly perfect and exactly the same. Slowly, I am letting go from my control freakishness about his schedule...

Work: Last weekend was definitely overwhelming. I had a slight nervous breakdown about the craziness of this school year (LOTS of changes)and all the work I was faced with. After having a good cry, I went to bed and it began to look better in the morning. I also took the wise advice of my husband and asked my boss for help. The work I am faced with is definitely not a one person job. One of my weaknesses is that I don't like to ask for help--to me, it's a sign of weakness and potential failure. But I am getting over that, too. I am coming to understand that if I am going to keep my family on the top of my priority list, I need to enlist the help of others and ask for things when I need them.

On the flip side, it was nice to see my colleagues again and have some adult interaction. I know some stay at home moms say they really miss adult interaction. I can't say I really MISSED adult interaction when I was home this summer, but I do like my colleagues and it was nice to see them again.

Although I am extremely, extremely nervous about this coming school year and all of the challenges it presents, I have to say that I am also genuinely EXCITED to see how it will all turn out.

No comments:

Post a Comment